Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Music (and videogames)


       I never posted about my musical preferences before so I thought this is now the right time to do it. I am an avid music listener and by music I mean real music - and by that, music that makes your mind happy and your body bouncing. I started listening to Classic Rock in middle school and then in high school I switched to Blues. Everything that was Pop and the horrendous Rap aka Hip Hop had no effect on me. Jazz and Classical music were OK but represented the former generations who in my opinion gave up hope. I realize today my musical preferences would mean the same to the millennials but what the heck, we are not here to please everyone or else we wouldn't enjoy anything on our behalf, right?

      For many, many years I was a huge Blues (and Rock) music collector ending up having over 12000 albums while maintaining a website where I promoted tens of new albums every week. People could download those albums and later buy them at the usual store. It used to be the easiest way to promote yourself if you were a young artist. That was more than 10 years ago before YouTube took over with their ads. Obviously what I did is now called 'piracy' because some of the frustrated artists weren't happy they were losing a few bucks while other decent artists understood this was actually beneficial to them because more people found out about their existence and more fans showed up at their concerts and bought their merchandise. 

       But again, you can't make everyone happy. So...someone reported my page and Wordpress (yes, those MOFOs) decided to close my page without a warning. Last time I checked my website was worth $14000 and earlier that year someone saw a profit in it and offered to buy it but I refused to sell my soul. Now my soul is free while one of its layers is somewhere at the bottom of the sinking belly of the internet.

       Long story short...I am still listening to what I like. But I find it shameful there is less and less good music around. Everybody is talking about these shitty rappers when we all know that is NOT music but a social movement. And like any other protest, it isn't peaceful. So I am not interested in it nor in any other sub-culture products that promote it. Sadly this happens to videogames too. I am simply outraged to see that good funky music from the 90s videogames disappeared completely and was replaced by mumbling or screamed non-musical anger and depression of these so-called "musicians" who can't sing nor play any instrument anymore. 

        Here are a few oldie but goldie samples from back in the day. 


        My favorite by far is the NBA Live 97 menu music. Just like one of the comments to this video said...I spent hours on my Playstation One editing the roster while listening to this soundtrack. Another comments say: "This song fits the game and era it was made in so well, you could swear this would’ve been played as a theme for the NBA on TNT or TBS, or played during commercial breaks." And: "Damn I miss these tracks and 90s games, 90s owned...Fuck 2K!". Well said.


      Not game related in any way or form but I will post a few links to the best songs from my favorite musician. It's someone I have been watching early in his career. Once I've taken a 14000 kilometer journey (yes, you read it right!) to attend his concert in New York. Now he is one of the top guitar players in the world and has tens of millions of fans.





No comments: